Where We're Going

Where We're Going

Saturday 24 May 2008

Eurovision = my favourite thing ever!

Last night was INCREDIBLE! The Arena is awesome, the atmosphere was amazing, the show was spectacular and the Brits looked like football hooligans. No surprise there then. Other than those bloody Brits, the whole experience was wonderful! Everyone was having a great time. We were sat amongst a load of old Serbian ladies, who were fairly placid for the majority of the show and then when the Serbian entry came on stage suddenly sprung to life! There was a young couple sat in front of us with a little boy of about 3 years old. We couldn't help but both mention that that would be us in 5 years time, and I truly hope it will be. They were having a great time, and the little boy was too. He especially liked the pirates. I didn't enjoy them as much as I thought I would, plus they weren't received well by the Serb audience who booed them at the end of their performance. Unsurprisingly, Croatia, Bosnia & Herzegovina and Albania were booed too. I thought Croatia were fun, especially when the old guy started scratching the decks of the gramophone, but the Serbs didn't agree.

John wants Spain to win. I quite like France, Ukraine and Croatia. I can honestly say I don't really mind who wins. Portugal, Sweden and Israel seem to be the favourites, and of them I would root for Sweden, but that's partly because I'd prefer to go there next year rather than the others! Tonight we are watching the show from outside the Parliament building with a lovely Canadian couple from the hostel and lots of Serbs! Hurrah!

We took a day trip to Novi Sad today, which was about an hour and a half out of Belgrade. It was very pretty, very hot (and then all of a sudden very thundery) and nice to see somewhere in Serbia other than Belgrade. The ice cream there (and here) is lovely. Today I tried Nutella flavour and Kinder Bueno flavour. Yum. I also tried a local speciality, Burek. It's kind of a filo pastry pie filled with potatoes or meat or cheese or spinach. They were enormous! 60p! Bargain!

I'm getting so into Belgrade that I'm going to be really sad to leave. I've been told we will really enjoy Sarajevo where we will be heading on Monday, but we're having such a great time here I almost don't want to leave. I'm sure we'll be back, but I would have quite happily spent a couple of weeks here. I imagine that will be the same in every city we go to, so I'll just have to get used to it I suppose.

Eurovision in 2 hours, woop!

No comments: