Where We're Going

Where We're Going

Friday 13 June 2008

Solar-powered pigeons, Moonwalking dogs & The Spank Mob

We woke late the next morning, after a much needed rest, and, forgetting it was a Sunday, missed the hourly bus to the city. Not wanting to wait, we walked the few km to the airport to get a bus from there. Walking a different way through town (it is difficult to re-trace your steps in the city even if you tried) we passed pigeons basking in the sunshine and a man wearing a t-shirt declaring "I am an abstract piece of art". Despite it being a Sunday the streets were far busier than they had been the previous day. On Saturday it had felt like we had the whole place to ourselves, but now there were people everywhere! We walked and walked in an attempt to escape them and found ourselves alone again just when the heat was getting more intense, both desperately needing a drink. Shops are harder to come by off the main strip, but 'Boutique Del Gelato' was our saviour: tucked around a side street, it had a huge queue of people, none of whom were tourist-looking. We had found the locals favourite! The ice-creams were cheap and enormous, I had tiramisu and hazelnut flavours, and John had a lemon granita, the most refreshing thing known to man.

That evening John dined on supermarket sandwiches (white bread with the crusts cut off, how terribly British) as we sat in the park. A small family of sparrows came to join us, and there were even some tiny, fluffy chicks! That same evening
I was finally able to give in to my craving for falafel! Mmm, real food! The guy in the falafel shop was hilarious. He had his radio turned up loud and started singing to us when we came in, using a rolling-pin as a microphone. He told me he loved me and asked if I was married. I said yes, and he shouted, "me too!" before asking John if he could buy me from him for a Porsche and a thousand falafel "only for nine months, we make beautiful babies then you can have her back". Nice.

Nun count: three, dressed all in white.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All the people I've bought falafel off have been nice. Not that nice though. He sounds brilliant!

What's a Spank Mob?