Where We're Going

Where We're Going

Friday 13 June 2008

Wine Horses, Marshmallow Smurfs & Photographing Doorbells

We left for Venice early the next morning, after a fairly solid nights sleep, interrupted only by one of the Aussie girls in our dorm sleep-talking. The first train of the day was to Villach in Austria. For some reason it´s only possible to get to Venice directly if you take a train at 2:22am, and we didn´t fancy that so we had to go via Austria. We snacked on cipi cips (I´ll do the correct accents when I can) and Vic Sticks on the train, as we passed through LONG tunnels in the pitch black darkness, and again had a nice little compartment to ourselves.

Sunshine and warmth greeted us in Venice. We got in around 1pm, and it was a pleasant 26 degrees. We took a bus to the campsite which, as we later found, was more like a caravan park, with a few tents and chalets. It was technically in Venezia Mestre, across the water from Venezia, but less than half the price of staying in Venezia itself.

Naturally, the first thing we did was sample some Venetian ice-cream. I had star biscuit flavour and John had chocolate mousse flavour. The side streets of Venice are the prettiest I have seen, and we immediately got lost, reaching dead ends at almost every turn. I couldn´t help, while walking through the streets I had only ever seen in anime, imagining I was on the island of Water 7 in "One Piece", secretly looking out for members of Cipher Pol 9, but with no luck. We did see dozens of men with poodles and found a shop with not one, but a selection of snowstorms! We also found possibly my favourite thing so far, a "sexy priests" calendar! Oh, it is truly spectacular and we cannot wait for June 2009!

There is very little graffiti in Venice, and the small amount we did see was pointless tagging. One tag I didn´t mind so much was VMFC, my initials! I had never seen my name in graffiti before and now the last two cities have had it! Having no graffiti to photograph we had to find something else; we chose doorbells.

Peckish after our long trek through countless streets we found a supermarket to stock up on supplies. Tummies feeling a bit odd we decided to swap chocolate spread for honey, biscuits for cereal bars with blueberries, white bread for brown and bought some natural yoghurt, peaches and carrots. I don´t think we´ll be giving up the ice-cream any time soon though!

I spent the entire day looking for nuns, and had almost given up hope when we spied two in the bus station on our way to the shuttle bus, hurrah!

No comments: